Sweet Orange & Honey Lip Balm will leave your lips soft, hydrated and moist with a slightly sweet taste on your lips. If you’ve never made lip balm before, fear not as making lip balm is surprisingly easy, although it may seem a bit intimidating at first. In its most basic form it is simply 20% beeswax, 40% butters and 40% oil. Once you know the right mix, the only thing left to do is research your ingredients for the benefits you’d like to see in your balm. For this Sweet Orange & Honey Lip Balm recipe I decided to use shea butter and cocoa butter for my butters and almond oil and sunflower oil for my oils. I selected my ingredients based on the following:
- Shea Butter – highly emollient and very useful for treating dry skin.
- Cocoa Butter – emollient, softening lubricating, hydrating and slow down moisture loss.
- Almond Oil – an outstanding humectant with water retention properties. Anti-inflammatory and useful for treating very dry skin.
- Sunflower Oil – softening and moisturizing and helps to alleviate dry skin.
- Vitamin E – antioxidant and helps protect skin, anti-inflammatory and speeds wound healing.
- Honey – flavor enhancer (sweetener), natural humectant , moisturizes and softens
- Sweet Orange Essential Oil – besides its wonderful smell, it is an antimicrobial, disinfectant, boosts immunity and may help alleviate anger, depression and anxiety.
For this recipe you will need:
Place beeswax, shea butter, cocoa butter, almond oil and sunflower oil in a double boiler and melt over low heat, stirring occasionally. When melted, add vitamin e, honey and sweet orange essential oil. Mix thoroughly, then pour into lip balm containers. Allow to set and harden overnight before capping. Apply as needed to chapped or dry lips or after exfoliating lips.