Sea salt soap is springing up everywhere. but what are the benefits and why are people using it. Actually, our use of sea salt as a therapy dates back thousands of years. Our ancient ancestors in Egypt, Greece and Rome used it to treat a variety of ailments such as skin diseases, lesions, infections, digestive disorders, calloused skin, ear aches and more! These days, salt is not so much used medicinally as it is to spice things up in the culinary world, however sea salt not only flavors food, it is absolutely essential for human life as it is a nutrient that the body depends on, but cannot produce.
Sea Salt, also known as sodium chloride can possess as many as 75 minerals and trace elements. The sodium in salt (33%) allows nerves to send and receive electrical impulses, helps your muscles function and helps regulate blood pressure. The chloride in salt (50%) helps with muscle and nerve function, aids potassium absorption and aids digestion. Other minerals present in sea salt include potassium (helps regulate body acid levels), magnesium (energy production and DNA/RNA synthesis), Calcium (regulates heartbeat, bone/teeth structure), sulfur (immune system, detoxification) and trace elements such as phosphorus, bromine, boron, zinc, iron, manganese, copper and silicon.
Not only is sea salt essential to human life, it is fascinating to learn that our bodies are comprised of the same exact concentrations of nutrients and minerals as salt water! With this is mind, the use of sea salt in treating human conditions makes so much sense and the use of salt in a soap bar doesn’t sound so crazy , right? If you suffer from dry skin or skin that is irritated or has lost its luster, you may want to try a salt bar soap to balance and restore hydration
- Exfoliating – Sea salt soap is a very gentle exfoliator. In fact, sea salt soap is so gentle you won’t even realize that you’re exfoliating while the salt in the soap sloughs off excess skin cells.
- Durability – sea salt soap bars last two times longer than normal soap bars.
- Moisturizing and Hydrating – the salt in a sea salt soap bar exfoliates and allows for deeper penetration of the natural oils and glycerin present in the soap.
- Boost Circulation – sea salt soap will help increase blood circulation
- Skin Detoxifying – the salt in a sea salt bar help to draw out harmful toxins on the skin.
- Mineral boosting – sea salt bars are full of minerals and nutrients that are beneficial to your skin and help to restore and balance.
If you would like to try a sea salt soap bar, the Ocean Breeze Sea Salt Bar by Beauty by Francesca is a fantastic scented natural handmade sea salt soap bar that refreshes, exfoliates, moisturizes and hydrates. They are available in our shop here.
DIY Sea Salt Treatments
Of course you can use sea salt in other forms besides soap, you can use it an exfoliator, a mask, a toner, a scalp treatment and more. Check out this article for DIY tips on how you can use sea salt for your skin, hair, teeth and nails.